If you’re interested in starting (or growing a career) in the mega-hot healthcare industry but are interested in a more administrative path, medical billing can be a great choice. Medical billing professionals handle the financial side of healthcare, translating medical charts into billing codes that are then sent to insurance companies or patients.
Let’s look at three different job applicants’ medical billing resumes: one just starting out, another with experience under her belt, and a third who’s looking to move into a managerial position.
First up is Amanda, our medical billing newbie.
Download this resume
3298 First Street
Lincoln, NE 12121
Organized, Efficient Recent Grad with Administrative Experience
- Completed medical billing and terminology certificate program
- Proficient in evaluating and processing insurance claims
- Experienced working as an admin in a medical clinic
- Well-versed in EMR and current medical billing technology
Nebraska South College; Associate’s Degree, Health Information Management
Awards/Honors: Dean’s List, graduated in top 10th percentile
Midwest Animal Clinic (Lincoln, NE)
Jan. 2016 – present
- Perform administrative support in a veterinary medical clinic.
- Process patient information and charts.
- Answer phones and handle waiting room triage.
- Schedule appointments and manage calendars.
- Provide customer care and information.
The Oppenheimer Group (Lincoln, NE)
Sept. 2017 – Dec. 2017
- Provided administrative support for the Claims department of a large insurance company.
- Processed insurance claims, verifying information and routing to the appropriate team members.
- Maintained and enhanced a digital claim filing system.
Amanda doesn’t yet have a ton of experience working in medical billing yet, but she does have a few things going for her: she’s completed a training program, she has experience working in a medical office (albeit a veterinary one), and she also has experience working at an insurance company in an internship. In her resume, she wants to play up those important features, so she starts with a “Key Strengths” section that helps focus the reader on what she brings to this job. By setting the narrative herself rather than doing the standard reverse-chronological resume format (putting experience first), Amanda is making sure that the information she wants the reader to see most is front and center.
Next up is Joe, who has been a medical billing professional for about 10 years.
Download this resume
7676 Francis Street * Pawnee, Indiana 56565 * 999-222-1111
- ICD-9 expertise
- Proven accuracy and attention to detail
- Expert knowledge of medical billing security and encrypted data management
- Adept at communicating with patients, medical staff, and administrative staff
Metro Hospital Pawnee, IN
Medical Billing Specialist 2011 – present
- Manage and coordinate billing for patients.
- Administer an active company-wide database of patient and insurance information.
- Encrypt medical service charges using ICD-9 code system.
- Oversee the distribution of bills to patients and insurance companies.
- Mentor new employees and department interns as part of Metro’s talent development initiative.
Indiana North University Hospital Shaw, IN
Medical Billing Clerk 2008 – 2011
- Ensured accuracy and data security of patient information and billing codes.
- Processed statements and invoices through the AccuCare medical billing system.
- Tracked submitted claims, including instituting tracers as necessary.
- Developed expertise in all commercial, private, and managed care insurance programs, including Medicare and Medicaid.
Office of Janet M. Arroyo, MD Pawnee, IN
Assistant Billing Clerk 2007 – 2008
- Processed and marked patient charts for coding and billing.
- Filed patient records and submitted claims.
- Assisted senior billing clerk with audits, coding, and electronic claim submission.
Farley Medical Supply Pawnee, IN
Bookkeeper 2005 – 2007
- Processed vendor invoices to ensure prompt, accurate payments.
- Issued customer invoices.
- Recorded cash receipts and made bank deposits.
- Maintained detailed logs and the chart of accounts.
- Exemplary record keeping
- Focus on customer data accuracy and information security
- Working knowledge of all insurance types and ongoing regulation changes
- Electronic medical record maintenance
- Microsoft Office suite expertise
Education and Certification
Brady College (Parkville, IN)
AAS, Medical Billing and Coding, 2007
AAS, Business Management, 2005
Joe goes with a more traditional format (the reverse-chronological format, which features experience most prominently). It works well for his resume, because he has years of experience to feature. However, he starts with a list of core competencies to guide the reader toward specific aspects of his career so far. His experience bullets support those points as well. And he’s also careful not to repeat bullet points, even though there may not have been huge differences between his medical billing jobs. It’s important to differentiate as much as you can, finding unique points to highlight for each of your positions.
And last but not least, here’s Abdullah, who is trying to level up in her medical billing career by moving into a management position.
Download this resume
75 Market Boulevard
Tarrytown, NY 43434
Experienced, results-oriented medical billing specialist seeking to leverage 15+ years of administrative excellence into a supervisory position.
- Ensuring the highest-quality coding and billing work from self and team members
- Developing workflow processes and protocols to ensure billing and coding accuracy
- Talent development and management
- Bilingual (English and Spanish)
Medical Billing Specialist County General Hospital
6/2013 – present New Rochelle, NY
- Establish and implement guidelines for medical providers to ensure data accuracy.
- Work with Billing Supervisor to determine team assignments.
- Developed a cross-checking system with the front office to ensure that patient data is complete and accurate for claims processing.
- Oversee regular reporting to ensure that claims are processed and sent out on schedule.
- Manage database of insurance information, hospital procedure data, and billing codes.
Billing Clerk State VA Hospital
3/2010 – 6/2013 Albany, NY
- Verified patient information and payments, following up with Collections procedures when necessary.
- Researched and resolved denials and rejections in a timely manner.
- Reviewed billing edits and verified patient information with insurance companies.
- Submitted claims to Medicare/Medicaid with the highest degree of accuracy.
Medical Billing Clerk Anson Health Center
7/2008 – 3/2010 Albany, NY
- Coordinated bills for patients, routing them to patients and insurance companies.
- Resolved billing issues and disputes.
- Processed worker’s compensation claims.
- Transitioned the clinic to a digitized filing system for claims and billing.
Medical Billing Assistant HealthPoint Services
5/2003 – 3/2010 Albany, NY
- Obtained and processed patient charts and medical records for billing purposes.
- Verified patient information as necessary.
- Maintained patient information database.
- Organized, scanned, and copied patient charts for billing and archiving.
- ICD-9 coding system
- AccuBill database management
- Microsoft Office suite
- Google suite
American Society of Medical Billing Professionals
Secretary, Hudson Valley Chapter
2015 – present
Bachelor’s Degree, Health Management
Associate’s Degree, Medical Coding and Billing
Abdullah has a sizable work history, but because she’s seeking to move up it’s important to emphasize not just that she has the experience and skills, but also the upward trajectory in her career. She does this by emphasizing the standards she holds for herself and others in the “Core Competencies” section, and by showing increasing levels of sophistication and responsibility throughout her different jobs. The old cliché applies here: show, don’t tell. Make sure your resume supports the job you want, not just the jobs you’ve had.
Want More Content Like This?
Get TheJobNetwork’s Latest Career Advice &
Job Seeking Tips straight to your inbox